Park View School
Temple Park Road
Tyne & Wear
Tel: 0191 4541568
Fax: 0191 4273430
28th September 2017
RE: Parent Governor
An exciting opportunity has arisen to serve on the governing body of Park View School.
The governing body is responsible for both the conduct of the school and for promoting high standards. The governing body carries out its role by setting the vision for the school and then ensuring that the school works efficiently and effectively towards achieving its vision. It does this by building a thorough knowledge of the school and its community, by both supporting and constructively challenging the school, and by ensuring accountability and compliance. The governing body of our school is made up of parent governors, staff governors, LEA governors and co-opted governors
A vacancy has arisen for a parent governor on our governing body. The governing body is asking you to nominate someone:-
- A parent of a registered pupil at the school;
- A parent of a former registered pupil at the school; or
- A parent of a child under or of compulsory school age.
If it receives more than one nomination, then a ballot will be held.
Before you decide to nominate someone, or indeed stand yourself, you may want to know a bit more about what is involved. Governors need not be experts in the field of education. What they do need is an interest in the school and in the welfare of our children and the time and willingness to get involved. The skills you have can be very useful to the governing body. If you are someone with the required experience, would you consider applying? Governors also need what is known as ‘soft skills’ – the ability to be able to build relationships with a range of people, to be able to work as part of a team, to be able to question, and to make connections between different types of information. All governors are expected to be able to read straightforward budget reports and data on school standards.
Our governing body expects governors to
- attend termly meetings of the full governing body
- visit the school formally for monitoring purposes.
- visit the school informally.
- commit to attend training courses, perform additional research as required and take part in monitoring at least 1 area within the school.
In return, our governing body commits to
- provide you with a structured induction
- provide access to quality training
- provide you with an experienced governor as mentor
- provide informal feedback on your contribution to the governing body on a bi-annual basis
If you would like to put your name forward to be our next parent governor please complete the enclosed nomination form. The deadline for nominations is Friday 6th October 2017 at 4.00pm.