GCSE Catering is a one year course where students not only learn about the catering industry but develop many cooking skills to use in the outside world. The course is broken down into 2 units one being 2 controlled assessments that make up 60% of the overall grade and a written exam which makes up the remaining 40% of the overall grade. GCSE catering is accreted by WJEC and the course specification can be found on the link below.
Introduction to Subject
Following the completion of the one year GCSE catering course students may consider developing their knowledge in this subject area further or choose to explore a career in this field. Local colleges offer courses in higher education catering below are links to inform you further on the options available.
After the first controlled assessment students have the opportunity to expand the knowledge by visiting the restaurant Frankie & Benny’s. During this time they will not only experience having a meal in a restaurant setting, they will be able to get a feel of what it’s like to work in this establishment. Students will have the opportunity to witness how the restaurant is ran on a daily basis from the kitchen to front of house. This is enables the students to have first-hand experience within the hospitality and catering industry.